Re: statistics, etc.

On Sun, 2005-02-01 at 16:28 -0500, Chase Brady wrote:
After spending about 20 minutes creating templates to do confidence
intervals and hypothesis testing, I have come to the conclusion that you
are right.  Having students make their own templates from the textbook
formulas ought to make a nice lab.  Much more instructive than the
"press a key, get an answer" sort of thing Minitab provides. I guess I
hadn't really thought enough about it. So that brings the wish list down
to boxplots, normal probability plots, stem and leafs, and maybe
dotplots.  Come to think of it, normal probability plots can be done
with existing features fairly easily.  This is starting to look pretty
nice.

Please file enhancement requests on bugzilla.gnome.org against Gnumeric.
Preferably one request per item. That will significantly increase the
chance that they are being implemented.

So, for my next question, is there any target date set for a working
windows port?

It depends what you mean with "working". You can run it on Windows but
there are limitations. Specifically I believe you can't print. But of
course I may be wrong having never used it on Windows.

As much as I'd like to install Linux in our Math lab, our
sysadmin would never go for it.  I'm still trying to get permission to
install it on my office computer.

There is another solution! You can run gnumeric just fine off a Gnoppix
boot disk, so there is no need to really install it on the lab machine.
Accessing student home directories could be an issue.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences