Re: statistics, etc.

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 13:51 -0500, Chase Brady wrote:
I have just subscribed to the group, and have several questions.

2.  I am interested in the possibility of using gnumeric in an
introductory statistics course which I teach.

We do use gnumeric in an introductory stats course here at Concordia
University College of Alberta.

 There are some nice
statistics functions, but a few elementary functions are missing.  In
particular, I'd like to have boxplots, normal probability plots, stem
and leaf charts,

Working graphs are relatively new to gnumeric. It would be nice to add
these. Boxplots and normal probability plots ought to be very simple.
Stem and leave charts may be more painful to implement than they are
worth (in my humble opinion.)

 confidence intervals (z and t),
CONFIDENCE(x,stddev,size)

similar ones would be trivial to add. You didn't mention for which
parameters you would like to have confidence intervals. I assume for a
mean and a proportion. (Personally I would rather have the students use
the appropriate formulas to assemble their own calculation.)

Confidence intervals for intercepts etc in regression analysis are
implemented through the regression tool.

 and hypothesis
testing.

Some hypothesis testing is implemented through the analysis tools,
others can be performed using ZTEST and TTEST.

 I know that gnumeric is extensible through plugins, but before
I try to tackle Python language programming (which I know nothing of),
I thought I'd check and see if anyone might have already done this, or
if such a project is in the works.

It is pretty easy to add them directly to gnumeric. If you let me know
what you are missing we can surely have it added easily. (Assuming first
year stats stuff here.)

3.  I found a 2+ year old web page on RGnumeric, an interface for R
language.  Is this project still going?  Will it work with the current
version of Gnumeric?

If it deoesn't work anymore I am probably going to have a look at it
coming spring/summer. I would like to use it in a class next fall.

4.  Fianally, an unrelated question.  Is there a way to make persistent
column labels, i.e. text labels at the top of a column which do not
disappear from view when you scroll down?

You can freeze the top rows and then they will stay in view.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow
Taliesin Software, Shelties, Pyr Sheps