Re: Conditional formatting - UI spec volunteer

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 11:36:02AM -0800, Hal Eisen wrote:
Really?  I admit I'm coming a bit late to this party.  I had assumed
that Gnumeric was trying to help people move from Windows to Linux/BSD,
and that file format compatibility was part of that.  I get .xls files
in email all the time, and it drives me nuts when they don't "look
right".

The implementation needs to support a super-set of MS Excel.
The user interface is another question entirely.  We've tried to be
compatible to provide people with the 'finger-feel' they expect.
Gnumeric's motto is
    As close to XL as necessary but no closer
The interface for conditional formats in Ms Excel is so irritating,
and the implementation so limited, that I don't see a need to be
similar.