Re: freezing panes

> This is a minor issue, but I think it is a quintessential example of
>  how to emulate something that was done wrong in the first place.

Actually, I think it has to be the way XL does it.

Suppose you want to freeze the first row, but not freeze any columns.

Under current scheme you select cell A2 and then use 'freeze panes'.

Under your scheme where you select row n to freeze row n and column x to
freeze column x, it would be necessary to select the cell to the left of
A1, which is very hard to select.
I take that back, it is very easy to select, you just click on the button that selects row 1.

so, i am inclined to agree that XL got it wrong originally -- although if we moved to the "select a1 to freeze row 1, column A scheme" we'd no longer be able to have the XL behaviour that selecting A1 freezes at the cell in the middle of the current window (what exactly is the rationale behind that -- does anyone actually use it?).

One freeze/unfreeze thing i find very annoying is having to 'unfreeze' before i can freeze a different location.   If the sheet is currently frozen it would be nice if the menu offered both 'unfreeze' and 're-freeze'.

john