Re: new developer

Hi,

I believe you are using sid. So do I. To compile gnumeric you need to get gal, libgsf and gnumeric from cvs. When you autogen.sh them make sure to specify --prefix=/usr

It works for me. It should for you.

Do not copy any files manually or symlink anything. Just use autogen.sh, make, make install.

Andreas

Charles R. Twardy wrote:

Sorry to bother again. I'm still having problems compiling on debian sid.
They now appear to be related to the "apt-get" problem.

I'm having more luck with gnumeric HEAD than with RELEASE, so we'll talk
about that first.

I. Problems compiling HEAD
----------------------------

So far I've had to make a few modifications to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/  :
  * After building libgsf-1 from cvs, "make install" was insufficient.
    So I manually copied libgsf-1.pc to this directory.
  * Then, I had to add a symlink
        libgnomeprint-2.0.pc -> libgnomeprint-2.2.pc
    because gnumeric had said it required:
libgnomeprint-2.2 >= 2.2.0 but also complained:
        ... Package libgnomeprint-2.0 was not found in...
        Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeprint-2.0.pc'

Now, it's complaining about libgal2.0, which brings me back to the
"apt-get" error that won't let me install gnumeric via "apt-get":

libgal2.0-dev: Depends: libgal2.0-1 (= 1.99.2-3.1) but it is not installable

Package libgal2.0-1 has no available version, but exists in the database.

So I made a guess and did "cvs co gal". I'm now compiling that, but I
think I'd better ask here.

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow