Re: new developer

Sorry to bother again. I'm still having problems compiling on debian sid.
They now appear to be related to the "apt-get" problem.

I'm having more luck with gnumeric HEAD than with RELEASE, so we'll talk
about that first.

I. Problems compiling HEAD
----------------------------

So far I've had to make a few modifications to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/  :
  * After building libgsf-1 from cvs, "make install" was insufficient.
    So I manually copied libgsf-1.pc to this directory.
  * Then, I had to add a symlink
        libgnomeprint-2.0.pc -> libgnomeprint-2.2.pc
    because gnumeric had said it required:
        libgnomeprint-2.2 >= 2.2.0
    but also complained:
        ... Package libgnomeprint-2.0 was not found in...
        Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeprint-2.0.pc'

Now, it's complaining about libgal2.0, which brings me back to the
"apt-get" error that won't let me install gnumeric via "apt-get":

libgal2.0-dev: Depends: libgal2.0-1 (= 1.99.2-3.1) but it is not installable

Package libgal2.0-1 has no available version, but exists in the database.

So I made a guess and did "cvs co gal". I'm now compiling that, but I
think I'd better ask here.

II. Problems compiling RELEASE
-------------------------------
autogen.sh complains:

<<
Please use AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) in order to cause autoconfiguration
to look for an external libintl.

Please run 'aclocal -I macros' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.

You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
from the /usr/share/gettext directory into your package.
It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure
--disable-nls
option.

The first I don't understand.
The second I keep doing and it keeps asking anyway. I have automake 1.7
and have removed all older versions to get rid of other errors.
The third I also don't understand how I would use.

Begging your indulgence,
        Charles
--
Charles R. Twardy, Res.Fellow,  Monash University, School of CSSE
ctwardy at alumni indiana edu   +61(3) 9905 5823 (w)  5146 (fax)