Re: new developer

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:15:00PM +1000, Charles R. Twardy wrote:
So far I've had to make a few modifications to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/  :
  * After building libgsf-1 from cvs, "make install" was insufficient.
    So I manually copied libgsf-1.pc to this directory.
eek! don't do that.
To get the pc file installed in the right place you have two
choices.

1) Use PKG_CONFIG_PATH to define a new path for pkg-config (not
   reccomended if there are things in the main path)

2) Make sure you configure/autogen.sh libgsf with the right prefix.
   The default is /usr/local where as you will want /usr to match
   pkg-config.

  * Then, I had to add a symlink
      libgnomeprint-2.0.pc -> libgnomeprint-2.2.pc
    because gnumeric had said it required:
      libgnomeprint-2.2 >= 2.2.0
    but also complained:
      ... Package libgnomeprint-2.0 was not found in...
      Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeprint-2.0.pc'

eek again! don't do that.  libgnomeprint-2.2 has api/name changes
from the 2.0 versions.  They are definitely different.

Now, it's complaining about libgal2.0, which brings me back to the
"apt-get" error that won't let me install gnumeric via "apt-get":

libgal2.0-dev: Depends: libgal2.0-1 (= 1.99.2-3.1) but it is not installable

Package libgal2.0-1 has no available version, but exists in the database.
Make sure you have libgal2.0
not libgal2-0

The latter should be removed and is an artifact of older versioning
schemes.

II. Problems compiling RELEASE
autogen.sh complains:

The first I don't understand.
The second I keep doing and it keeps asking anyway. I have automake 1.7
and have removed all older versions to get rid of other errors.
The third I also don't understand how I would use.

I have no idea.  Things build fine for me on a sid install, but then
again my dev environment builds all of gnome from libxml on up from
src/cvs.

Good Luck.