Proposed changed menu structure

I would like to propose to change the menu structure as given below. The
run-up to 1.2 may be a good time for that  since users will expect some
significant changes for a major step from 1.0.x to 1.2.

-------------------------------------

A new design incorporated various bugs/enhancement requests filed
(115956, 87940, 99655, 99860, 114092):

File
  New
  Open...
  ---
  (recent files)
  ---
  Save
  Save As...
  Auto Save...
  ---
  Page Setup...
  Print Preview...
  Print...
  ---
  Define Name      (Names are usually defined workbook wide)
  Document Summary (used to be Properties but dialog talks about
                    Document Summary)
  Protection       (used to be Format Workbook, opening to second tab)
  Calculation      (used to be Format Workbook, opening to third tab)
  ---
  Close
  Quit

Edit
  Undo
  Redo
  ---
  Cut
  Copy
  Paste
  Paste Special...
  ---
  Clear
    All
    Formats
    Comments
    Contents
    Hyperlink   (not implemented yet but clearly missing)
  ---
  Select
    All
    Column
    Row
    Array
    Goto Cell...
    Depends
    Search...
    Search and Replace...
  ---
  Preferences

Cell
  Function
  Special
    Current Date
    Current Time
  ---
  Comment   (both Comment and Hyperlink as attached to a single cell)
  Hyperlink
  ---
  Merge       (new!)
  ---
  Fill       (This could go into the tools menu, but we had it with the
              other cell based commands.)
    Autofill
    Merge...
    Tabulate...
    Dependency...
    Series...
    Random Generator...
  ---
  Auto Correct...

Sheet
  Manage Sheets...
  ---
  Insert
  Append      (new)
  Duplicate
  Remove
  Rename
  ---
  Insert
    Cells
    Rows
    Column
  ---
  Chart    (if we have them in their own tab
            they essentially create a new `sheet' or tab)
  Image

View
  New View...
  Zoom...
  Freeze Panes
  ---
  Toolbars...
  ---
  Workbook... (opening to first tab)

Format
  Cells
  Column
    (submenu as is)
  Row
    (submenu as is)
  Sheet
    Hide Zeros
    Hide Gridlines
    Hide Column Headers
    Hide Row Headers
  ---
  Autoformat...

Tools
  Plugins...
  ---
  Filter
    Add Autofilter
    Show All
    Advanced Filter...
  Goal Seek...
  Solver...
  Scenarios
    View...
    Add     (does what?)
  Simulations
  Statistical Analysis
     (submenu as is with ellipses)

Data
  Sort...
  Recalculate
  Validate...
  ---
  Text to Columns...
  Consolidate...
  Group and Outline
    (submenu as is)

Help (as is)

This will add one menu item, total now 9, each menu (except file) would
contain from 5 to 11 items, some with submenus. The maximum depth in
submenus is 2 *ie. submenu of submenu of main menu). This should allow
relatively fast access to all items.
--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow taliesin ca>
Taliesin