"Serious cell error"

I recently decided to revert my system to "latest stable" gtk-2.0 and
gnome 2.0.2, backing out some updates that went beyond that status.
This required re-compiling various things including gnumeric.  Now
most things are working fine, but I've got a mystery problem with
gnumeric 1.1.11-bonobo.

If I select a range of cells and do Format Cells/Numeric, most of the
data in the cells disappears and I get messages on stderr like

** (gnumeric:15126): WARNING **: Serious cell error at 'B3'.

Any ideas on which library is likely to be responsible for this?

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics