Re: Importing text files with umlauts and sharp-s's

Thanks for your suggestions.

  On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:54:21 +0200, "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)"
  <dm zensunni demon nl> wrote:

Yes. You need to tell your system that accented characters are to
be considered printable, e.g. by setting the LC_CTYPE environment
variable to "en_US.ISO8859-1".

Well, setting LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL to various things like en_US.ISO8859-1
or de_DE.ISO8859-1 makes no difference, so on to the next thing...

The locale files for this locale need to be generated; on Debian
GNU/Linux, you can do this via "dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales"; on
other GNU/Linux systems, you'll probably need locale-gen(8).

I use slackware (with the glibc-2.2.5-i18n package, so I have full sets
of files in /usr/lib/locale (containing directories like en_US which
have files like LC_CTYPE) and /usr/share/i18n/locales (containing files
like en_US)), and there's no mention of a locale-gen in the slackware
manifest.

I'll keep fiddling about with things (and hopefully find a solution)
later.