Non-linear regression

Alright, I have rewritten the non-linear regression code using the LM
method.

The results are much better.  For most initial conditions that I've tried
the code converges to values that are "not too wrong".  Also, the region
from which in converges to "the right values" has improved.

I am still hoping for better results, but there has been progress.

I was wondering if Gnumeric might do something to "help the user" pick
good initial values.  After all, now matter how much the function
improves, there will always be parameters for which it won't converge to
the right values.

How difficult would it be to let the user plot his own user-defined
function?

If the user picks initial values that "look okay", they are mosty likely
close enough for the LM method to converge to the "right" values.

For those interested, my Python program is attached (Python makes a good
prototyping language).  It expects to find the 'numarray' library.

Cheers,
Daniel