Re: Importing text files with umlauts and sharp-s's

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 22:11:38 +1000, Alexandra Walford wrote:
I'd like to use Gnumeric to import some basic tab-delimited text files,
many of which contain umlauts and sharp-s's.  When I try to import
these files I am told that "This file does not seem to be a valid text
file.  The character  (ASCII decimal 252) was encountered.  Most likely
your locale settings are wrong.".  Does this mean that although I am an
English speaker living in an English speaking country (Australia), I
cannot import files with such characters unless I start fiddling with
locale settings?

Yes. You need to tell your system that accented characters are to be
considered printable, e.g. by setting the LC_CTYPE environment variable to
"en_US.ISO8859-1". The locale files for this locale need to be generated; on
Debian GNU/Linux, you can do this via "dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales"; on
other GNU/Linux systems, you'll probably need locale-gen(8).

HTH,
Ray
--
"[...] you can divide our industry into two kinds of people: those who want
to go work for a company to make it successful, and those who want to go