Re: Get error on ./configure with OLE 0.2.4

I installed libole2 0.2.4 from source.  The error message I get from the
gnumeric configure script is:

checking for libole2 >= 0.2.4                             ... <FAIL> not found
configure: error: This version of gnumeric requires an external
libole2 library the latest version can be obtained from
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/unstable/sources/libole2/

The last line in congig.log is:

checking for libole2 >= 0.2.4

I ran, as suggested, env CC="gcc -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib"
./configure -v

I re-ran configure, make, and make install on libole2, but > the output to
text files for examination.  I got the following error running make install
on libole2:

/usr/bin/install:  cannot stat './html/index.sgml': No such file or directory
/bin/sh: gtkdoc-fixxref:  command not found

although I got the following output from make install:

Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

So is libole2 installed or not?  How can I verify whether the gnumeric
install *ought* to be able to detect libole2 0.2.4 or not?

I know that perhaps this question should go to a libole resource rather than
a gnumeric list, but I'm fairly new to *nix and OSS and appreciate any help
I can get.