Memory use (was Re: COUPNCD COUPPCD)

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:26:11PM -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
I believe you already got them. THey are a bunch of files in the 300KB
range called coupdays.gnumeric, couppcd.gnumeric, etc at
http://www.cs.hut.fi/~jiivonen/testfiles.

Well, they may be 300Kb as BZIP2 block compressed text, but they're more
like 150+ Mb in my copy of Gnumeric. This is not good w/ 128Mb of RAM

Gnumeric is chewing up ~1Kb per cell for these sheets, Jody can you tell
us what this is spent on? I'd expect more like 20 to 100 bytes.

If you adjust those files, perhaps you could record in them that the
numbers come from Excel 2000 on MS Wiundows x.xx.xx

I think I'm partly missing the point here (or maybe not). If these files
test XL compatibility, why aren't they .XLS files? Is that what you want
me to do? I figured we were talking about ~100 line test sheets like
those for the rest of XL functions, but this is... hard core.

If I can't export the sheets to XL 95 then I'm certainly not about to
type them all in. Maybe Gnumeric can export them as CSV ? I'll try to
tomorrow and report to the list at ~ 1700 UTC.

Nick.