Re: Our XLS exporter is doing something wrong.

Miles Lane <miles megapathdsl net> writes:

Anyone here interested in checking out a good XLS exporting
compatibility-checking tool?

      http://www.andykhan.com/excelread/

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded it.

ExcelRead will read workbooks created in Excel 97, 98 and
2000 formats.

Gnumeric writes Excel 95 format.

A service that I am testing for a a friend's company is
using this code to read in xls files.  I get failures
importing xls files written out by OO and by Gnumeric.

Which is most likely because ExcelRead's support for Excel 95 format
is patchy.

It is obviously expecting something to be different.
So, we should fix whatever our exporter is doing wrong.

Export to Excel 97 format is halfway implemented. We shall have to
complete it when we get Unicode support. But so far, it's not been a
priority.

Regards

Jon Kåre

I am not advocating using this code to import XLS files.

Thanks,
      Miles