Re: Attn Packagers

Gregory:

Jody's concerns about bug load - particularly from people who want
to install from RPM as opposed to build from source - is a valid
point, but I have a view from the opposite end.  I build from the
CVS tree, and from my point of view as a user of Gnumeric, I find
that bonobo itself is not ready for prime time.  As a developer, I
know that this circumstance would like to have maximum exposure to
shorten the debug time, but from a user standpoint, this is akin to
Microsoft' "Let the User be the Beta" attitude.  Right now, and for
the near future, Gnumeric is far more reliable if one can just
leave bonobo out of the build, period.  I know that for me - at
least for now - the first nut that requires bonobo will be the one
after the last one that I download and build.

I have been working with *nixes as a developer since 1979 (v6), and
I think that the KISS philosophy is the magic bullet.  Keep
features as independant as possible, and debug the pieces
thoroughly.  I'm philosophically - and vehemently - against the
mixmaster method, where there is one package that contains
everything.  Among other things, building features as separate
packages requires that the interface be well defined, thoroughly
documented, and static, which is an extremely desirable thing from
the standpoint of reliability.

-- Norm Reitzel
        Blue Water Ventures