Re: Attn Packagers

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:49:06PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

Is the bonobo support in the main gnumeric executable, or in separate
files?  If it's in separate files, it's easy to create a gnumeric and
gnumeric-bonobo RPMs, allowing end users to not install the bonobo
support if they don't want it.
If it's not possible to separate them this way, then I'm all for putting
a BuildRequires:  bonobo >= 1.0.9 into the spec file, and getting people
to do some more thorough bonobo testing.

Bonobo is mostly isolated in the build, but it does change the
compilation.  However, I am against having a Requires for bonobo for
the same reason that I'd like to avoid Requiring guile-1.5 or python
or guppi.  There are already too many complaints about Gnumeric's
requirements.  The main people having problems are the people who
are no longer newbies, but have yet to reach grand master status.
They do not rely completely on packages, but still use the canned
rpm spec to build.  All sorts of problems arise trying to get the
various dependencies installed.  I would much prefer to keep the
list (and my bug load) down by requiring the absolute minimum number
of packages in the default spec.