Strange 0.75 text entry bug

Gnumeric is performing strange case conversions on strings I type into
cells (whether the format is "general" or "text").

When I try to type "kCLge" into a blank cell, I end up with "KcLGE".
When I then edit the cell to try to put the case correct, I get
"kClge".  No matter how many times I edit, I cannot get to "kCLge";
similar problems happen for other mixed-case strings.

I don't want to report this to bugzilla until I'm sure I'm not missing
anything obvious.

Here are the only environment-variable settings that might have some
effect:

 LANG=C
 LC_CTYPE=
 GDM_LANG=C