Re: Rounding??

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 08:59:12PM -0000, Morten Welinder wrote:

Think binary.

Hmm. I'll have to sit down and do the numbers.

Gnumeric does not know what 3.45 is.  It has some approximation, which
may be ever so slightly bigger or ever so slightly smaller.  (Well,
it's more like "i386" than "gnumeric" that does this, but all other
processors in common use these days also use a binary representation.)

Certainly but when you provide a mapping from one space (binary) to the
display space (decimal) is important that the display understands its
(numeric) context.

We dont think in binary, and we might have conventions that dont work
well in the mapping from binary to decimal.

What ever the case it would be nice to have an option to provide
different expected behaviour.

Nicholas