Re: Reading an Excel sheet.

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 01:32:36PM -0400, wayne wrote:
Hi,
I recently installed Redhat 7.1 and I'm using the gnumeric that came
with it. The version is 0.61. I have a friend who uses MS Office 2000.
For a test I had him send me a sheet  from Ecel, which I made some
change on and sent it back to him. When he pull it up to view none
of it made sense.
What is the process I should use to send him back a sheet that he can
view? If more info is needed please let me know.

There are two probably difficulties :

1) Version 0.61 has a few known bugs generating xls files.  They
have been fixed in newer releases.  It was not until 0.65 that we
decided to allow saving a Gnumeric generated xls file over top of an
existing xls file.

2) Even with the improvements in 0.65 we still require that a user
set a special environment variable
    GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERWRITE
before we allow an existing xls file to be overwritten.  This is to
indicate that you really understand that xls export is not yet as
featureful as we would like.

I would recommend updating to the current release (0.67) and making
sure that when you save the file you 'Save As' and select Excel 95.
Otherwise it is very possible that you are sending a file in
Gnumeric format (gzipped xml) rather than xls.

Good Luck
    Jody