Re: Reading an Excel sheet.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 07:50:29AM -0400, Wayne wrote:

I was just reading some of the archives and see that release
.65 reuired some enviromental variables to get it working
with Excel. So, I guess I should update to the currentl
release. After I update do I still have to set any enviroment
variables to make Gnumeric and Excel sheet play nice?

0.65 had many bug fixes and improvements in the XL exporter.  Enough
that we considered it safe enough for general use. The
setting of the environment variable 'GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERWRITE'
is a convenience to allow Gnumeric to actually overwrite an existing
xls file.  This is a vote of confidence in the code to indicate that
it is nearing production stability.

However, Gnumeric can still export to xls without the env variable.
The only change is to disable the safety check.

Hope that helps,
    Jody