Gnumeric-list meta-question

Some time ago, I've started looking at gnumeric
sources
in order to learn from them. What I'd like to know is
where would be appropiate to ask questions about why
specific things were done in that way ( I mean, I've
sthg. in mind at the moment but guess there'll be more
questions later ) or another:

1) Is this list appropiate for this kind of questions?
( trying of course not to bore everybody else here).
2) Should I better look at cvs.gnome.org to see who
made the change ( or wrote the code originally ) in
that way and ask him/her by mail?
3) Is #gnumeric IRC channel more appropiate for this
sort of thing?

TIA,

diego