Re: why no one anwsers my question?

  To the coders, Excel does not let me exit if I have a badly formed
  formulae in my sheet.  Is this a bug or a feature and what does
  Gnumeric do?

[...]
function, though.  I.e. you won't get an error message if you type
"=add(B2:B9)", it just becomes a string.

Well actually in versions other than CVS you would actually lose the
formula you had typed. Recently this was changed to pop-up an error
dialog just like Excel.

Currently you will _have_ to get the formula right or prepend a '
manually or it won't let you exit. However the error dialog will have
some buttons added so you can either correct it or disregard the input.
An extra button should probably be added so you can just store it as a
string or something.

Almer S. Tigelaar