Re: why no one anwsers my question?

[Phillip Shelton]

  Having just fired up Excel, the function you want is indirect()

  To the coders, Excel does not let me exit if I have a badly formed
  formulae in my sheet.  Is this a bug or a feature and what does
  Gnumeric do?

Oh, that was hateful!  You had to finish the formula (at least get the
number of parentheses right) before being allowed to navigate on the
sheet (Excel 4.2).  Gnumeric turns a badly formed formula (isn't
"formulae" plural?) into a text string.  When you later finish the
formula, you have to remove the quote mark at the beginning to make
Gnumeric reinterpret it.  I think that is a pretty intuitive way of
working.  It can be confusing if you misremember the name of a
function, though.  I.e. you won't get an error message if you type
"=add(B2:B9)", it just becomes a string.

Kjetil T.