CORBA/omniORB + Gnumeric

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

There are two naming systems, the old GNORBA-based
(gnome-name-service-based) one and the new OAF-based (oafd) one.

You can use the GNORBA API from the libgnorba runtime to launch
Gnumeric.

hmmm - there speaks a man who knows.

unfortunately here speaks one who doesn't     :-(
- the reply is a little opaque to me.

I would  really really really like to get this stuff going. I first
asked the question a couple of years ago.
Please - for an non-expert-level guide - if possible.
Seeing the level of development of Gnumeric I feel sure this stuff is
doable - but it is very opaque.

I am not a C programmer. Just a user who wants to use the system.
---------
What do I want? -  to activate and drive Gnumeric from a Python script
environment.
---------
How far have I got?

I have omniORBpy and can connect to the ORBit naming service.
(gnome-name-service)
I can see 'active' servers. On my system only the FileManager and a few
applets.

If I run 'goad-browser' I can see all the servers in /etc/CORBA/servers
(if I point at the right directory.)
I can see which servers are active.
I can start some of the listed servers using goad-browser and then see
them appear in the naming-tree from my omniORB-Python-Script.
I can fire-up a FileManager from my Python script.
(I note that FileManager is an active server from startup by default -
where/how was this done? If I could do this with Gnumeric I would be ok)

Gnumeric is in the list of servers.
GOADID:GNOME:Gnumeric:Grid:1.0 + GridFactory + Workbook +
WorkbookFactory.
But trying to activate it/any from goad-browser has no effect. -no
messages -nothing.
What am I missing ?

Miguel mentioned  'old GNORBA' and 'new OAF'.

Are GNORBAs days numbered?
Should I really be using OAF? I can find no clear info on how to use it.

I would sincerely love to get this thing going.
I apologise for my obvious lack of understanding but I do not have time
thrash over the source-code and work with this stuff in my job.

If anyone could spare a little time to hold my hand I would be most
grateful
- or should I leave it a few more years?  :-/

cheers
Nick/Oxford