CORBA/omniORB + Gnumeric

I am trying to play with Gnome+omniORB with the aim of using Gnumeric
remotely

I have (with help) got omniORB to connect to the gnome-name-service and
see the
naming tree ok so that is hopeful. Done this using omniORB.py - very
nice stuff.
I can't seem to get to Gnumeric though. I note that some stuff has been
done with Perl
but that is very opaque to me.

How do I activate it? - I don't know much about OAF or such stuff - just
a user really.

Also if I try to compile IDL files using omniidl I get missing  idl
files?

Has anyone done this yet - it looks pretty exciting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers
Nick/Oxford