Re: Q: a way to enable save/over?

Hi Dan,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Dan E. Kelley wrote:
Hi.  I'm loving using gnumeric, and have found only one snag: the
disabling of "save over" for excel-format files.

        This was intended for your protection :-)

Q: is there something I can put in a dot-file to permit me to
save-over into existing files?  I ask because I need the security of
having backups of my work.  Right now I have to keep going over to a
shell window, 'mv' the file, and then go back and click on
gnumeric/save.  Sure, that's not too difficult, but there is a good
chance of messing up.

        It would be possible to allow this to happen; there are a number
of issues with testing it to ensure that it works reliably, of course, a
simple approach would be to move the file away and create a new one of
the same name, then unlink the old one.

        The problem is; that there is no hard and fast garentee that your
excel file will load in excel again afterwards; whilst this is our aim, it
is by no means garenteed.

Gnumeric is a great thing, and it's probably at the stage where user
comments may be a valuable resource.  (I *know* I can recompile it,
with the feature turned off, of course.)

        Sure :-) code is appreciated too; of course, it shouldn't be very
hard to hack up the feature, the issue is testing it and working out a
sensible and complete approach. eg. once you wander into this area,
locking suddenly seems a good thing to implement etc.

        Regards,

                Michael.