[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Ekiga, diamondcard and sipdiscount

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:40:45 -0400, don Paolo Benvenuto wrote:

> lamentably, Diamondcard prices are quit high. The user is invited by the
> ekiga community to subscribe blindly for a service whose conditions
> aren't known.

If the conditions aren't known, that's because the user in question
clicked the "Get a PC-to-Phone account" link in ekiga and didn't bother
looking at the "Rates" link in the signup webpage.

> Wouldn't be possible to look for a cheaper voip provider?

I don't think ekiga should necessarily endorse the rock bottom
providers, who could very well be gone in a few months anyway. If
diamondcard works well, has reasonable prices, and has historically
been supportive of ekiga, that sounds like a good compromise to me.

> Alternatively, at least a link to their price list is necessary,

The link to their prices is right there on their signup page.

> and giving some hint about where finding a cheaper voip
> provider or a comparation or them.

If anyone knows of a good list/review of voip providers, I agree that
a link to that would be useful to have in ekiga and/or in the
documentation.

Even better would be to have some docs on configuring ekiga for
various providers. One unfortunate thing that I've noticed is that
many providers seem to require you to sign up through their own
proprietary software, even if they use SIP. That seems
counterproductive, since they're making money through calls, not
through their software.

Regards,

Johan