Re: [Fwd: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] The Case of the Vanishing Dialpad!]

Jan and Damien, I really appreciate your help on this. Yes. The cooker represents a kind of testing/development area, however, as they come into this area, they are often quite usable, but have not been released to the distro as an upgrade yet. The Mandriva Club members have access to this area, and if there is a problem with a current distro application, often the cure is in cooker, if everything else fails.

The urpm command set is built on top of the rpm command set. The Urpm commands are automated, finding all dependencies, and conflicts, and supposedly resolves them.

I agree with Damien that somehow I have broken things or that dependencies seem to be mixed up. I have noticed that my old gnomemeeting program that did launch before I tried to install ekiga, now no longer launches at all.

Also, when I remove ("urpme") ekiga, I notice that the new cooker lib that was installed with it, does not also get removed. I don't remember what that lib was. Is there a command that would identify the dependencies that ekiga has so that I can manually remove the lib that came down with it?

I have been asking questions on the Mandriva Forum also concerning how to get ekiga running, and here is what one of the monitors is now saying I should do, but I am thinking if my dependencies are messed up, this isn't going to work....what do you think?

Terry, I think you may have better luck if you get the Cooker .src.rpm and rebuild it, install of directly installing the Cooker binary package. Adam's Five Minute Guide to rebuilding .src.rpms:

1. Follow the instructions in "Install the software" and "Preliminary tasks" on this page: http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowTo . You don't need to go further than that.
2. Download your .src.rpm to ~/rpm.
3. Do: rpm --rebuild file.src.rpm
4. If it succeeds, you will find the binary RPM in ~/rpm/RPMS/i586 , from where you can install it. If it fails, you're likely missing a -devel package: look at the error message you get and you should be able to figure out what package you need to install.

What do you guys think? It just seems to me, that I need to UNDO the damage I have done, before anything is going to work at this point, or am I wrong in this?  (If worse came to worse, I could [ shudder! ] re-install Mandriva and re-customize...)

terry