[GnomeMeeting-list] When Ekiga rings... follow-up

Hello All,

Many thanks for your answers, suggestions and remarks regarding my previous post :-)

After having read all your answers, i feel the need to add some more fuel to the debate :-)
In a form a a small Q&A.

Q: Why the way Ekiga currently rings makes it unusuable (or at least really painful to use) ?

Given the fact that the number of ring tones variates from one call to another, i have no way to count the tones to avoid the voicemail. Being able to avoid the voice mail for me is an important for the following to cases: - i want to call the guys i work with that are in a remote location. However if they are not there, i get redirected to a team assistant. The fact that the team assistant assists ~ 30 people makes her unlikely to be of any interest for me. Which means when i call the guy, i give up after a few tones, and would try later rather than having to explain my case to this tem assistant. Ok, this case is rather tricky, and is just too "myself-oriented". But let see the next one. - when i call my friends on their mobile phone and their mobile phone is not up, i sometimes don't wanna let a message in there voicemail either. Using ekiga, i won't be able to avoid their voicemail, and will be charged like hell by their mobile network operator. (well, like hell
is a bit too much, i know :-) )

Q:Why is it important to solve this issue ?
The SIP provider i use is a broadband Internet provider that has ~ 1.5 Million ADSL subsribers. It is known to be Linux friendly (i.e. it publicly advertises it uses Linux internally, has contributes back to VideoLAN project when it launched it's TV service, makes no trouble when you connect your Linux box to their network). As such it is the
Internet provider most people using Linux use nowadays in France.
The SIP service is free, and provides free calls to landlines in France and in many Internationnal country. It is likely to be the beginning of the "SIP revolution" where you don't have to pay anything to call anybody anywhere. As this service is still experimental, it hasn't been advertised, and many people don't use it yet. However when it will be launched in September, and i wouldn't be surprised to have tens of thousands of Linux users willing to use Ekiga with it. :-) (For Damien : no it does not send call progress media... too bad !!)

How to fix the issue ? Here are 3 possible solutions:
1 - Do nothing until we receive the "ringing" SIP message. Then start ringing. I would tend to believe that the user does not need any feedback to know that the call is in progress. In fact the user asked the phone to dial somewhere. It wouldn't make sense for the phone to *silently* ignore the user action. The phone should throw up un error message saying that something bad prevented it to start dialing instead. But i bet that it is already the way Ekiga works, isn't it ? (and by the way, it is the way most UNIX commands work too :-) - They do not print
anything on success)
2 - Create a new king of tone : a "dialing tone". Play the "dialing tone" until we receive the "ringing" SIP message. Then play the "ringing" tone. 3 - implement a Throbber to notify the user that the call is in progress. Launch the ring tone only when we receive the "ringing" SIP message.

I would personnally go for 1 or 2. 3 would work too but requires more work.
For your information, SJPhone implements solution 2.

Polls are opens!! What do you guys think of these solutions ??

Cheers,

Fabien