Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] When Ekiga rings... follow-up

Użytkownik Fabien Chevalier napisał:

.... deleted

How to fix the issue ? Here are 3 possible solutions:
1 - Do nothing until we receive the "ringing" SIP message. Then start ringing. I would tend to believe that the user does not need any feedback to know that the call is in progress. In fact the user asked the phone to dial somewhere. It wouldn't make sense for the phone to *silently* ignore the user action. The phone should throw up un error message saying that something bad prevented it to start dialing instead. But i bet that it is already the way Ekiga works, isn't it ? (and by the way, it is the way most UNIX commands work too :-) - They do not print
anything on success)
2 - Create a new king of tone : a "dialing tone". Play the "dialing tone" until we receive the "ringing" SIP message. Then play the "ringing" tone. 3 - implement a Throbber to notify the user that the call is in progress. Launch the ring tone only when we receive the "ringing" SIP message.

I would personnally go for 1 or 2. 3 would work too but requires more work.
For your information, SJPhone implements solution 2.

Polls are opens!! What do you guys think of these solutions ??
.... deleted

I personally vote for solution 2, this method is in use in my GSM network in Poland: at the beginning of call you hear something like PSTN "dialling pulses" (sometimes for a second or two ;) ) and after that you receive ringing tone OR several short beeps if there is a problem in network.

W.P.