Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] When Ekiga rings... follow-up

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 20:33 +0200, Fabien Chevalier wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> How to fix the issue ? Here are 3 possible solutions:
>    1 - Do nothing until we receive the "ringing" SIP message. Then start
> ringing. I would tend to believe that the user does not need any
> feedback to know that the call is in progress. In fact the user asked
> the phone to dial somewhere. It wouldn't make sense for the phone to
> *silently* ignore the user action. The phone should throw up un error
> message saying that something bad prevented it to start dialing instead.
> But i bet that it is already the way Ekiga works, isn't it ? (and by the
> way, it is the way most UNIX commands work too :-) - They do not print
> anything on success)
>    2 - Create a new king of tone : a "dialing tone". Play the "dialing
> tone" until we receive the "ringing" SIP message. Then play the
> "ringing" tone.
>    3 - implement a Throbber to notify the user that the call is in
> progress. Launch the ring tone only when we receive the "ringing" SIP
> message.
>
> I would personnally go for 1 or 2. 3 would work too but requires more work.
> For your information, SJPhone implements solution 2.
>
> Polls are opens!! What do you guys think of these solutions ??

The main issue that currently there is no feedback at all until
"RINGING".

I vote for 3.  But it is probably more work than the other solutions.
(I don't know gtk etc, but is it possible to just say 'display this
animated png?).

If it must be 2 I suggest using a CLICK sound.  Nice and retro, looking
back to the old non-digital telephone exchanges.  (This is because I
think that tones are basically an attempt to make Ekiga behave like a
telephone.  In this case, why create a new tone?)

At the least, the status bar should have the messages "connecting...",
followed by "ringing..." etc.  (I see that there is already a
"connecting h323:XXXXX")