Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 500 ekiga net comes back all garbled

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:31:44PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Tried it: same result.  Now I'm also wondering: why does it choose PCMA?
> After all, I haven't changed the list of codecs and PCMA comes last.
> And indeed if I remove PCMA from the list, the connection says "/H231" only
> for in&out, indicating that it couldn't agree on any codec.
> Is that normal?  The preferences list of codecs seems complete.

It is quite normal for conference servers to insist on a particular
CODEC, that way the mixing is easier for them as they don't need to
transcode. PCMA is standard in PSTN bridges, hence often used by
conference servers.

It is normally up to the remote end to select a Codec from the list that
you present, so just setting the order when connecting to a 'foreign'
service/application may not give a specific Codec.

Note that the Codecs do not nessecarily have to be the same in both
directions. Although they will most likely be when using a conference
server.

> >> I would also try the set-up druid, and run the audio test to ensure that
> >> audio out/in on the local machine works OK.
>
> > I did that: the local audio works fine (well, the echo was terrible in the
> > test, but other than that it sounded fine).
>
> I now tested it with headphones so as to remove the echo and it really works
> just fine,

So local works good.... therefore the problem is probably be with your
link. VoIP is more sensitive to things like jitter, so prehaps your ISP
is performing badly - do they happen to offer 'enhanced service' for
VoIP?? - obviously at a small tax^h^h^hfee.

Simon