Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Compiling opal - memory errors

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:19:40PM -0400, Tylerious wrote:
> I've tried both those distributions, actually. However, I spent at
> least three days straight compiling my current Gentoo system. A pain,
> but everything just works (except stuff like this, naturally). I may
> have to give up and go back to something else. Or maybe plug in a
> large flash drive and mount it as swap.

I wouldn't use a flash drive as swap - it'll cause a lot of wear to the
device causing it to fail earlier...

If you have spare disk space then you can use a swap file (rather than a
swap partion). Commands are something like:
---
dd if=/dev/zero of=large_swap_file bs=1M count=1024	# gives 1GiByte
mkswap large_swap_file
swapon large_swap_file
---

and after the compile