Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM1.2 unstable on SuSE9.2/9.3

Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2005 11:14 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> Hello Yoriaki,
>
> I think there is a bug in the package for SuSE 9.3, due to a buggy GCC.
>
> Of course, SuSE packagers never listen to us, we are plainly ignored. So
> things are getting worse at each release.
>
> In SuSE ?? (don't remember which one), GnomeMeeting was packaged without
> GNOME support, removing all GNOME dependancies, and using "unstable" and
> "untested" code to replace the GNOME features.

SuSE 9.0. Yes, this was bad, but on the other hand, there was no label
"unstable" or "untested", it was a configure flags like any other. Yes, they
could have asked ...

> In SuSE 9.2, they decided that they would take a random snapshot in the
> unstable CVS tree and ship it instead of the stable released
> GnomeMeeting version.

The version in 9.2 was almost exactly what has been tagged as 1.2.0 stable,
the only difference was a missing (brazilian portuguese?) translation.

> In SuSE 9.3, they are using gcc with patches that break some C++ code,
> like our plugins code. If you provide me a backtrace, I will tell you if
> it is the case or not.

These patches are backports from gcc 3.4.1 stable. This fixed some other bugs,
but introduced a very uncommon regression.

> All this wouldn't happen if SuSE GnomeMeeting packagers was
> collaborating with developers instead of ignoring them and if they were
> testing what they are packaging.

GnomeMeeting did not even start on 9.3 beta1, but the versions of later betas
and the one shipped with 9.3 works fine for me (there is a bug when shutting
down gnomemeeting, which I havent found until recently, as I have not shut
down gnomemeeting for several weeks, I always suspend to disk).

> I'm not blaming the whole SuSE distribution (which seems very good), but
> I'm blaming the persons who are in charge of the GnomeMeeting
> packaging.

One of the problems with gnomemeeting is pwlib and h323. They have been a
moving target in the past, and every time you use a newer versions of the
libs (maybe because some other packages _needs_ a newer version), you either
patch gm to work with the newer version or update to cvs. This has become
better in the recent past.

But you are right, the gm packages had some problems in almost every release
of the distribution and did not have the testing they deserve. Blame me for
not testing the packages enough during the beta phase (damn exams), blame the
world to shifting its focus to SIP for VoIP. As SIP support in in GM becomes
stable, I am really sure it will get more attention again, as it is much
better as kphone or linphone (IMHO!).

So, thanks for working on gnomemeeting ...

Greetings,

Stefan
--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/