Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00: a poll, please contribute

> From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
> Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:19:34 +0200
> Sender: gnomemeeting-list-bounces gnome org
>
> Hi,
>
> To make sure everyone understands,   the purpose of the former
> discussion is to determine a few things :
>
> 1)
> Should the UI stay the same, or be changed? There is a proposition in an
> earlier mail.

As long as it's fairly functional, I don't mind a change, but I don't
see a real demand for one in my community.

> 2)
> should we stay a softphone with only SIP instant messenging, and nothing
> else?
> OR
> should we have jabber support and become that way a softphone with IM
> capabilities?
> OR
> should we stay a softphone and put our efforts into integration as an
> EXTERNAL component with Jabber clients?
>
> 3)
> What's your profile? Softphone user or chatter?

Soft phone, I guess. My community uses H.323 for tele-conferencing and
mostly needs it to connect to a gatekeeper and an MCU, although we do
dial remote users directly now and then. Video support is critical.

The system is heavily utilized with globally diverse users. Both Asian
and European users make up a significant portion of the users. We may
have over 100 users at any time. Conferences with over a dozen
participants are common.

> 4)
> If an MSN client was made available for Linux, would you still use
> GnomeMeeting and why? Would new users use the MSN client or
> GnomeMeeting?

I don't use Linux, but FreeBSD. I am not aware of anything that an MSN
client offers that would replace GM for us.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)