Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] directory of gnomemeeting users

Don't confuse iChat with iChat-AV.

Normal iChat is just normal peer to peer text IM - nothing new there.
Looks they are going to Jabber for Tiger - yawn.....

iChat-AV is the audio/video system. You can use it point to point, but
(last time I looked) conferencing was linked into the AOL network
somehow. So it is not peer-to-peer conferencing, but requires centralised
infrastructure (as Damien said).

I'm sure there is a Mac user somewhere on the list who can confirm or
deny this.

   Craig

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:40:40 +0200
Marc Manthey <marc let de> wrote:

> hello damien,
>
> what you mean with hidden servers? its  a peer2peer thingy
> in the  upcomming  server"tiger"version
> <http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/tiger/>
> there  will be  an "ichat" server and  the  using  the  "jabber"
> protokoll:
>
> "You can now host your own iChat server. Instant Messaging serves as a
> vital means of communication for organizations of all sizes, so it?s
> useful to deploy and run your own private and secure IM server. Based
> on the open source Jabber project, the new iChat server in Tiger Server
> lets your company protect its internal communications by defining its
> own namespace, using SSL/TLS encryption to ensure privacy, and Kerboros
> for authorization. The iChat server works with both the iChat client in
> Mac OS X Tiger and popular open source clients available for Windows,
> Linux and even PDAs."

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/