Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 11:48 am, Stefan Bruens wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 11. September 2003 11:35 schrieb Anne Wilson:

> > > This is done in accordance to /etc/logindevperm.
> > >
> > > As you said, the directory /dev/v4l belongs to root.video,
> > > check that the _directory_ /dev/v4l is accessible by users
> > > belonging to group video, so this should be 750 for the
> > > directory and 660 for the device.
> > >
> > > Make shure to change /etc/logindevperm accordingly.
> > >
> > > Stefan
> >
> > Stefan, /etc/logindevperm doesn't exist in a Mandrake setup, so I
> > had to guess. I set the permissions I wanted in
> > /etc/security/msec/perm.local, which overrides the more general
> > permission settings in msec, then rebooted.  The directory
> > /dev/v4l is now root.video 750, but I cannot change the
> > /dev/v4l/video* owner which still shows as anne, although the
> > group as changed to video, and permissions are 750. No matter
> > what I do, it reverts to owner anne, permissions 750. I don't
> > understand why it is not being read from
> > /etc/security/msec/perm.local.  The current lines in that file
> > are:
> > /dev/v4l/	root.video	750
> > /dev/v4l/video0  root.video	660
> >
> > I am trying to achieve what you have all said are optimal
> > settings, but shouldn't the settings that I have now allow me
> > access anyway?  I am still getting the same error message.
> >
> > Anne
>
> What is the result of "ls -la /proc/video/dev/"? This has to be
> readable to find the devices, too.

dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Sep 11 12:31 ./
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Sep 11 12:31 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Sep 11 12:31 video0

It doesn't look right.  Bearing in mind what I wrote above, can you
guess what's happening?

> If the settings seem to be correct, try starting gm with
> "strace -eopen -o gm.out gnomemeeting"
> Start it, wait till the error messages has appeared, and quit gm.
> Then open gm.out with less (or any other pager or editor) and
> search for "video". This should you give some hints what gm is
> trying to do.

As user:

strace: can't fopen 'gm.out': Permission denied

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302