Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gnomemeeting behind a Cisco Nat Firewall

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 10:27, Damien Sandras wrote:

> If the router supports H323, you don't need GNU GK to use GnomeMeeting.
> That's what I don't understand in your explanation.

I might have been a little obtuse, but yes, I understand and agree.

> If the router doesn't support H.323, then GNU GK can be a solution to
> use GnomeMeeting, but in that case :
> - you have to install the GNU GK on the router
> - or you have to install the GNU GK on a public IP and patch
> GnomeMeeting to support the NAT penetration system of GNU GK.

The first part of your second point is pretty much what the gnugk folks
also state.  Gnugk "must" be installed on a public IP.  But I am telling
you that this is NOT accurate even as I realize that it's always
dangerous to argue with the author.  :-)

Since gnugk allows for specific h.245 and RTP ports to be used, these
specified ports can be opened at the router.  This is what I did and I
can tell you it works great and my GK is definitely NOT sitting out on a
public IP.  This works well for both NM and GM users both inside and
outside my LAN.  Everyone can call everyone else on both sides as long
as they are registered to the GK.  If you would like, you can call me
through my GK and see and hear for yourself.

I'm now bracing for a thorough whipping...