Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gnomemeeting on notebooks under KDE

Le mer 17/12/2003 à 12:18, info a écrit :
> Yes. Because it's a question of respect to my correspondent.
> Imagine, please - you call me, but can't hear me because my
> /dev/dsp is bisy...  What you will think about me?

> In another words, my decision to ansver your call means my
> decision to close my audio/video apps; and if I decided to set
> auto-answer, this means my agreement with auto-closing
> audio/video apps.
>
> So, this feature I speak about is only for automatize the
> actions that now you and I had to make by hands: when we see
> call and want to ansver, we must manually close sound/video
> applications in any vay.
>
> Of course, it must be a user-selected feature: somewhere in
> settings must be a radio-button with words "Automatically close
> all sound/video applications on incoming and outgoing calls".

That won't happen. Other maintainers would think I'm crazy to auto-kill
other programs. That doesn't make sense.

> And... Of course, the ideal way will be a possibility of shared
> usage /dev/dsp by gnomemeeting and players - maybe, with
> automatically reduced volume... But this is inpossible - or
> not?

It will be possible the day where GNOME and KDE will both adopt a good
sound daemon. Currently, the only possibility is to create a virtual
DMIX ALSA soundcard (check their doc, I never tried), and to use that
virtual soundcard as output for all programs. That will transparently
work with all applications!

> > I'm personnally using xmms, xine without artsd or esd, and
> > when I have to answer an incoming call, I stop the sound
> > playing.
>
> I use xine, noatun and kscd. IMHO, noatun make better sound, and
> if you want, I am ready to prove it by experiment. I have one
> mp3 file (Tonino Carotone, Me en el cago del amor, 6M). When I
> listen it on xmms, I hear some speedup in the beginning of
> song; when I listen it on noatun, all is normally. (Of course,
> it is my personal mind...)
>
> Noatun (and kscd) needs artsd. They automatically start artsd
> even if it wasn't start before. And even if I close noatun,
> artsd stay as daemon.

You can tell to artsd to bind to the virtual ALSA soundcard.

> This means that if I start gnomemeeting (without artsd, of
> course), and then start noatun - gnomemeeting will not work on
> incoming call even if I close noatun. Because artsd will not
> stop with noatun, an /dev/dsp will bisy for gnomemeeting.

There is an option in artsd to make it release the dsp soundcard when it
is not used.