Re: Re. [GnomeMeeting-list] Problems using Microtelco....

On Friday 11 April 2003 22:45, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le ven 11/04/2003 à 22:02, Krist van Besien a écrit :
> > And tried again, this time with IP translation switched off...
> >
> > And it worked.
> >
> > Now I only need to find out why. What does my firewall need to do
> > exactly?
>
> Just do what is described in the FAQ, and it will work.

I did that. And it only worked (for a while) after I had increased the
forwarded port range to 30000 - 33000. I did this after netstat showed me
that gnomemeeting was listening to a UDP port in that range.

> You have 2 cases, either your router supports H.323, or it doesn't
> support it. If you apply IP translation to a router that supports H.323
> as it was not supporting it, you can get the same problem as what you
> describe.

What does my router need to do in order to support H.323? My router's manual
makes no mention of it.

I started out by configuring that router as if it didn't support H.323 I
forwarded the ports mentioned in the FAQ. I enabled IP translation (what does
this exactly?), with the (external) IP of my router.
I tried a few calls. It turned out they could hear me, but I couldn't hear
them.
I then expanded the range of ports forwarded by my router to include any ports
I had seen gnomemeeting listen too.

I was then able to place some calls, but many still failed. Those that worked
got dropped after two minutes. I then wrote my first message to this group. I
got the suggestion to upgrade, which I did. I then had a quite long
conversation with with someone in Holland, and satisfied that things worked,
left for a long weekend abroad...

When I returned nothing worked... All calls got an "unknown user" or
something. Turned out none of the microtelco servers were available.
The next day the servers were there, but calls always got dropped with a
"remote party has cleared the call". I found out that in fact the call was
being made, but no sound was transported, and hence the other side hung up
again...

I'll do some tests later today with my firewall again...

The thing that bugs me is that it has worked before. This means that there
must be some combination of gnomemeeting and router settings that gives me a
working setup.
Getting somewhere purely by trial and error can be frustrating, especially
when the rrors seem to be random...

Greetings,

Krist

> It is just a matter of reading the good part of the FAQ and of your
> router's manual.
>
> > Krist

Krist van Besien                                krist vanbesien org
Bern, Switzerland
"You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear
weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest
bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?" - Rockhound in Armageddon.