Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Help!! - ALSA crashes my Gnomemeeting

Well, I have some bad news.  Sort of.  I don't think I'll be
troubleshooting for Alsa any more.  I got tired of some of the problems
I was having and reverted back.  Read on for the reasons and if this
isn't too boring.

First off, if you'll recall from a much earlier post, there wasn't
really anything wrong with my current default Red Hat audio setup.  OSS
I believe.  I just wanted to see if the performance of Alsa was as good
as some were saying.  In other words, I didn't have anything better to
do.

Secondly was the original problem with the freshrpm packages which it
turns out wasn't a problem with the packages at all but rather the
version of Alsa.  Having to compile an older version just to overcome a
version specific bug isn't all bad.  Just a little annoying.  Especially
on a slow computer.  Took about 30 minutes to compile the driver.

Then, when I get the driver, libs, and utils built I was faced with some
of the more poorly produced docs I've seen in some time.  I'm sure
someone whose been around Linux for a good length of time wouldn't have
as much problems trying to decipher the docs as I did.  I've seen good
docs and poor docs.  These were definitely on the lower end of the
scale.

Then I was getting error messages (Red Hat, I think) telling me that it
couldn't open my audio device when I tried to converse in Gnomemeeting.
Something about it being busy.

And only about half of my audio devices volume levels were being saved
after a logoff.  CD, Video, etc were being reset back to mute with each
new logon.

When I uninstalled Alsa and reverted back to my original, everything
once again works as it should.

If and when I get an audio card that doesn't behave well with OSS, I'll
consider going back to Alsa.

Sorry Damien.