Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Netmeeting compatibility

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 14:59, Chris Tooley wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 15:12, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le lun 04/11/2002 à 21:54, Marc Williams a écrit :
> > > On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 11:52, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > >

> > > Ok, we'll just have to work around this limitation, I guess.  I see that
> > > someone coded a Windows port of Speex.  Maybe I'll test those codecs out
> > > and see if it interoperates with GM's Speex.
> >
> > They do, of course, but the problem is to add them to Netmeeting...
> >
> Of course my problems would go away if the gsm codec for Netmeeting were
> easier to install.  I know that may sound insane to some people, but
> requiring that it be in the Netmeeting directory means that I have to
> explain to my family how to get to the C drive and what that is. As
> bizarre as that might sound, my mom has never used anything except XP
> and doesn't know what "My Computer" is.

Doesn't sound insane to me at all.  For one of my relatives I had
emailed him a 13 step detailed explanation of exactly how to do that.
Everything but pictures.  Come to think of it, maybe that would've
helped.

Damien:  I believe that GM users would benefit by having this info
explicitly included in the FAQ:

"If a Gnomemeeting user is going to be communicating with a Netmeeting
user who has specified their connection speed at 28.8Kbs or lower, they
(the Netmeeting user) MUST install and execute the instcodec.exe
utility.  There will be no audio otherwise."