Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Help troubleshooting Gnomemeeting

> Well, I had an answer about my question about that codec
> implementation : This implementation of H.261 is able to cope with
> packet loss, but not if it is a huge packet loss. In that case, the
> image will freeze as you experienced with me. That is the confirmation
> of what I thought.  However, I have no idea why there is such a huge
> packet loss when high bandwidth machines contact you.

About how many packets in a row is "huge", i.e., how much packet loss
causes it to freeze?

My tests show that I can have a sustained, simultaneous, transfer rate
of over 100 kbytes/sec, both up and down, from my machine. But perhaps
there are bursts of packets that come in during video conferencing that
cause my ISP's routers to drop incoming packets.

I tried running Microsoft Netmeeting v3 on my Windows machine and
connecting with Andy who was running Gnomemeeting. Andy said that my
video looked good. However, Andy's incoming video to my machine was
quite poor, with lots of blocks and artifacts and less than 1 FPS even
though Andy was transmitting 15 FPS. So there seems to be something
strange going on with my Cable modem or the ISP's routers (I had my
firewall disconnected). I need to get some program that can send and
receive packets to Andy's machine and keep track of dropped packets.
Any suggestions on programs to test this? (previously I used ftp but for
I couldn't tell if 10% or whatever of the incoming packets were dropped)

Hmmff. Maybe I should get DSL.

--
"Erik Reuter" <ereuter erikreuter net>       http://www.erikreuter.com/