Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 09:03:13AM +1100, Jeff Mills wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I dont see the logic in branching a project off into separate
> apps when it would be much better for everyone involved if everyone worked
> together on it.

I agree with you. The developer of the KDE project is in fact very kind, but
helping me or creating 2 GUIs on the same app would perhaps have been more
useful.

> On a side note.... one of GnomeMeetings drawbacks is the fact that it uses
> alot more bandwidth than NetMeeting due to proprietary codecs.
>
> Now that DivX is open source... is it possible for someone to produce a new
> codec using the compression that DivX can give?
> I might be way off track here, but I thought DivX was a huge leap in the
> compression of video.
> Will it not work with cameras? Will it not be good enough? Can it not be done?

Well, it is possible. It is even possible to use proprietary codecs through
libwine (or somthing so, like in aviplay) would work, I suppose (don't know if it is legal or not).
As for OpenDivx, I don't think that it would give a good bandwidth for gnomemeeting,
however, we will work in 0.14 to add CU30 support. That will be difficult
because CU30 needs to collect stats every time that you change a device setting.

If somebody wants to think a bit more about the codec problem, he is welcome.

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\		web:  http://www.gnomemeeting.org/