Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

>>The reason I say it's "possibly" a waste of resources is that I've never
>>had a good feel for how interoperable components for each system really
>>are.  If I wanted to paste a gnomemeeting window into a kword document,
>>could I do it?  How about if there was a "kmeeting", would it be possible?
>No for the first question. I don't think so at least.
>But yes for the last one provided that they implement it.
>It will probably be possible, after the 1.0 release of GnomeMeeting,
>to have the GnomeMeeting CORBA (yes Gnome uses the CORBA standard, not KDE)
>component in Evolution, or Nautilus (imagine, in the desktop itself), or
>OpenOffice, or ...

That would be fabulous,  my mind spins at the possibilites.  Is GNOME
meeting currently component-ized?

>>Having applications that can interoperate is probably a Good Thing, and I
>>don't know how much gnome apps can interoperate with KDE apps.
>Not a lot, and it is the same for the reverse. Notice that Gnome uses a
>standard for the interoperability :CORBA. It is not true for KDE; but I can
>be wrong.

KDE used CORBA initially,  but abandoned it due to speed and complexity
concerns.  There after KDE made greater progress initially than GNOME.
But it seems pretty clear that GNOME sticking with CORBA (in the form of
Bonobo) is going to pay off big in the very near future (GNOME 2).
Projects like gnome-db/gda illustrate how powerful and scalable these
components can be.  KDE (kparts) uses a shared library component system.
Since CORBA objects can be shared library a KDE->GNOME package integration
is theoretically possible assuming the KDE components are not tied to
tighyly to the UI widget set (QT).  GNOME->KDE integration seems like it
would be much harder as you'd have to wrap the component up to look like
a shared library and then find it in the CORBA names space, get it
 started, etc...

Open Office also has it's own component architecture for which a bridge
technology to Bonobo is being developed (I don't know how actively).

Another nice thing about CORBA based components is, with the help of a
middleware package like xmlBlaster,  these components can (at least
theoretically) be invoked via XML-RPC, SOAP, or whatever that Java RPC
spec is.  This is the project I'm currently working on.  Imagine
controlling automated data input into Gnumeric from an SQL database via a
PHP-enabled web page.  Just cool!  And all three could be on diffrent
machines.

>>>For example, when I add a functionnality to OpenH323 (I added the ability
>>>recently to change the video quality and the background fill and the
>>>jitter buffer during calls), I do it for gnomemeeting, for Equivalence,
>>>but also for the KDE project which will use OpenH323. I just hope that
>>>they will do the same to improve our mother project :)

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS