Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] a Voip rant

David,

> By the way - Kilian, did you spot Smylers' comment about the
> Ubuntu/Debian packaging?  Does his comment make sense?  "there doesn't
> seem to be a stub gnomemeeting package helping you make the transition
> — and even doing apt-cache search gnomemeeting doesn't throw up
> ekiga."  I don't know: I don't use Ubuntu/Debian on the desktop (yet).

for one his comment is kinda pointless if you consider GnomeMeeting as
part of GNOME 2.14 and Ekiga as part of GNOME 2.16. SID right now ships
2.14 and thus Ekiga is so far nothing but "yet another GNOME app that
will work with 2.14". Once 2.16 is out things may change. Moreover,f or
now the debian gnome-meta package has gnomemeeting *AND* ekiga listed as
alternative modules, thus if we would drop gnomemeeting from the ftp
archive (right after ekiga was released from NEW into SID at least) the
drop-in-replacement would just take place seamlessly for any new
installation from that point on.

The migration of old installations would require to either have a
conflict in the ekiga package against the according gnomemeeting (OT:
and there is no real technical need to be mutually exclusive with these
two) or we just leave it as is and let the users decide whether they
actively want to switch. Eventually the gnome-meta package will be
updated to list only ekiga, but for that we need to have it in Sid (and
preferably Etch) first. As said, this may be what's coming with GNOME
2.16 once the time is right.

One other side note: The current ekiga pacakge should already "provide"
gnomemeeting to satisfy depends, yet that won't convince apt to remove
gnomemeeting and replace it with ekiga. So, once again it's up to Debian
ftpmasters to review the NEW list before this can be adressed any
further. In the time being you can just purge gnomemeeting from the
system once having ekiga installed and even sarge's gnome meta will be
happy. =)

Hope that makes the whole issue a bit clearer.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian