Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] a Voip rant

On 5/9/06, Daniel Huhardeaux <devel tootai net> wrote:
Peter Robinson wrote:
> [..]
> Not reasonable points about Skype. I hate Skype! More about usability.
Ok, sorry, I didn't understand like this :-[
> Being able to just put a name in and call them rather than having to
> mess around with sip:blah somewhere com etc.
Enum is here for this, even more. Ekiga has just to implement it ;-) I
like the just :-)

I am also puzzled by your statement, Peter.  Whenever I have used
Skype, I have always used Skype addresses (usernames).  If I am ever
lucky enough to look up a Skype user by their real name, the Skype
directory lookup takes ages, and then I add them to my buddy list - I
never found a way to quickly call someone by name.

Unfortunately for VoIP, Gervase's blog has a very wide audience.
Interestingly, if and when he gets Ekiga, the ekiga druid and
ekiga.net will solve most of his problems!

By the way - Kilian, did you spot Smylers' comment about the
Ubuntu/Debian packaging?  Does his comment make sense?  "there doesn't
seem to be a stub gnomemeeting package helping you make the transition
— and even doing apt-cache search gnomemeeting doesn't throw up
ekiga."  I don't know: I don't use Ubuntu/Debian on the desktop (yet).

Best, David