Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Promotion

On 11/4/05, Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> GnomeMeeting badly needs promotion, especially the SIP version.

I agree. The problem with promoting it is the fact it's still
pre-release. Once we get it to stable I think it'll be much easier.

> I was discussing this with Julien, and we came to the same conclusion,
> there are now many VoIP projects with a good marketing force, and much
> money. I won't name any example, because it would mean advertising for
> them again.
>
> The difference between GnomeMeeting and those projects is that
> GnomeMeeting is a community effort. We don't have commercial interests
> in our back, and we are not opportunists either. GnomeMeeting was
> already present and kicking back in 2001 !

Yes, and its an awesome product to boot :-)

> Seeing the number of private e-mails I still receive about GnomeMeeting,
> I don't think interest has dropped yet, but it will certainly if we are
> not doing something about it.

I think the sooner we can get 2.0 out with SIP support the better. I'm
not sure how hard it would be to add IAX2 support now that OPAL
supports it but that would help as well too.

> So, how can you help?
>
> You can help when 2.00 will be released:
> - to spread the word about it
> - to have stands in conferences in your country
> - to post news on internet websites
> - to write articles about GnomeMeeting

Is it going to be ready in time for gnome 2.14?

> An example is the next FOSDEM, there will most probably be a
> GnomeMeeting stand, with T-shirts, and GnomeMeeting-related gadgets, but
> also a demonstration.
>
> I will ask : who is ready to help during the event (25 and 26th of
> February) and spend one or two hours on the booth to help Jonita?

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the next FOSDEM going to be?

> Also, Jonita has found a new slogan for GM 2.00 :
> "A window to the world"
> will be replaced by :
> "The Freedom of speech"
>
> Why freedom? Because there is nothing that is more free than
> GnomeMeeting : no companies behind it, no commercial interest, open
> standards, open codecs...

Sounds pretty cool. Its a great product that I've been using on and
off for years and years.

Cheers,
Pete