Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] H.350 server

Le mar, 11/05/2004 à 14:04 +0200, daniel huhardeaux a écrit :

> >If you register both to the SIP registrar and the H.323 Gatekeeper, you
> >should be able to call indifferently users using one or the other
> >following the remote is registered too.
> >

> Ok. But remember that asterisk has an h323 bridge. So asterisk can call
> gatekeeper, as well as you can tell gatekeeper to send call to asterisk.
> In this case, it's tranparent for users. But it's perhaps not an GM
> problem ;-)

Indeed but it doesn't solve the above problem. Well sort of, by having
all H.323 users registering to a GK, all SIP users registering to a SIP
registrar, Asterisk could bridge the calls and permit to H.323 users to
call SIP users even if SIP is disabled on the H.323 side and vice-versa.

> >I think we will have to make a choice between the two protocols for the
> >major one, because configuring firewalls for SIP and H.323 will be a
> >pain.
> >

> Perhaps a stupid question: but as far as I know, IAX has no firewall
> problem. Could this not be a solution?

It could, but IAX is not used outside of Asterisk. It is not a standard
yet. I also read it had some security flaws. But it is certainly a
long-term solution.